The Proof of Work Experience

Purpose: To verify each work experience claim and to validate that the applicant meets the program requirements

Document Requirements:

  • The below documents are required for each work experience declared by the applicants.
  • The processing office only assesses whether the applicant has included the required documents at completeness check.
    • Only once the application enters the processing stage do visa officer assess the validity or fraudulence of the information provided.
  • The immigration process requires the following documents mandatorily for each work experience declared by the applicant
    • A letter of reference or experience from the employer
      • This should be an official document printed on the company letterhead
      • It must contain:
        • The applicant’s name
        • The company’s contact information i.e. the address, the telephone number and the e-mail address
        • The details of the immediate supervisor or the personnel officer at the company i.e. the name, title and signature
      • The letter must specify all the positions held while employed at the company
      • It must also include the following details:
        • The job title
        • The job duties and responsibilities
        • The job status (if it is the current job)
        • The dates worked for the company
        • The number of work hours per week and,
        • The annual salary plus benefits
    • If the work experience is in Canada, the documents submitted as proofs could include:
      • Copies of T4 tax information slips
      • Notices of Assessment (NOA) issued by the Canada Revenue Agency
      • Option C printouts issued by the Canada Revenue Agency
      • It is worth mentioning here that the time period for these documents must correspond with the work experience timeframe
    • If the applicant is self-employed, the documents submitted as proofs could include:
      • Articles of incorporation (or other evidence of business ownership)
      • Evidence of self-employment income
      • Documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details
      • It is worth noting that self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience

The Individuals who would need to submit this documentation:

  • The principal applicant
  • Their spouse or common-law partner (if they claim work experience in Canada)